Saturday, May 31, 2008

Sigur Ros Rebuttal

Apparently Sigur Ros fans take any criticism of their beloved Icelanders very seriously. I must admit that I am not the most knowledgeable individual about the band, so perhaps my previous comments were slightly overly harsh. I own two of their albums: ( ) and Agaetis Byrjun. On one of those two albums [ ( ) ], all of the songs ARE, in fact, in "hopelandic". From Sigur-ros.co.uk's faq section:

on von, ágætis byrjun and takk, jónsi sang most songs in icelandic but a few of the songs were sung in 'hopelandic'. all of the vocals ( ) are however in hopelandic. hopelandic (vonlenska in icelandic) is the 'invented language' in which jónsi sings before lyrics are written to the vocals. it's of course not an actual language by definition (no vocabulary, grammar, etc.), it's rather a form of gibberish vocals that fits to the music and acts as another instrument. jónsi likens it with what singers sometimes do when they've decided on the melody but haven't written the lyrics yet. many languages were considered to be used on ( ), including english, but they decided on hopelandic. hopelandic (vonlenska) got its name from first song which jónsi sang it on, hope (von). tracks 7-9 on takk are in hopelandic.

Furthermore, I find it somewhat amusing that I would get such harsh comments about a band that I don't even particularly dislike all that much. I mean, their okay but it's just not my cup of tea, mind you. And no I haven't been living in a bubble, and I never accused Icelandic of being a made up language. Also, I am not some ignorant asshole who refuses to listen to music in other languages. If you look a couple of posts down, you will see that I discuss a Belle & Sebastian cover of an Os Mutantes song. Os Mutantes are Brazilian and hence sing their songs in Portuguese which I also do not understand. I enjoy Os Mutantes. One really cool album that I downloaded this year, called Cambodian Rocks is a compilation of Cambodian garage bands. I don't speak Cambodian, yet I enjoy the music on that album.
I probably won't be discussing Sigur Ros a whole lot more on this blog, so you can all chill.

Download: Sigur Ros - Gobbledigook (mp3)

No comments: